1/19/2009

On Aristotles Ethics and Politics

Here are some notes I have written down in reading from Aristotle's "Ethics" and "Politics". I am not instantly holding my opinion for some of these, but to people with either the name Davis or Jason, I would especially enjoy hearing what you have to say about these notes.

-Far best is he who knows all things himself; good he that hearkens when men counsel right; but he who neither knows nor lays to heart another's wisdom is a useless wight.

-If there is any gift of the gods to men, it is reasonable that happiness should be god-given.

-For that some should rule and others be ruled is a thing not only necessary, but expedient; from the hour of their birth some are marked out for subjection, others for rule.

-The male is by nature superior, and the female inferior; and one rules and the other is ruled.

-Some men turn every quality or art into a means of getting wealth.

-The courage of a manis shown in commanding of a woman in obeying.

-Silence is a womens glory.

Also I have a new blog for you to check out. His name is Creed Thie, so some of you might know him already, and he is I think a year younger than I. But he better read than I and writes more clearly than I. So check him he has got some movie reviews write now. Find him on the side column.

4 comments:

RespectMyAuthorita said...

Ill be honest. I read a couple of those and got bored. I dont practice reading quotes. Im more into being quoted.

Evan Gunn said...

You are easy to quote, Jason. i do it a lot in front of my highschool friends.

timmyjimi said...

"Some men turn every quality or art into a means of getting wealth."

I thought this one was best. It is true, and the people who accomplish it amaze me. I wish I could see how to turn anything into money. On the other hand, I would probably regret the ability as soon as I had it.

Colin Clout said...

Tim,

I think, though I'm not sure, that Aristotle is criticising those people. Or if he isn't (because such criticisms would be off topic) he doesn't like them.