2/16/2012

Another Conversation Betwixt God and the Soul

Soul

Forgive me LORD that I had not seen,
That with my service I had been so mean.
To chase my passions grotesque by flesh,
I reasoned that I was right and blessed.

God

Your guilt is sure but I wait to find,
My son in you, a pleasing kind.
But your conviction is good and true,
So I shall forgive as you well knew.

Soul

I cannot describe the burden lifted,
But that I have been wonderfully gifted.
My wretched sins deserved no less,
Than to be cast down into abyss.

God

I cannot deny what I could have done,
But had not Ninevah made your run?
Tis' ugly, yes, but excellent too,
To have you love me, as I loved you.

Soul

But what if I turn again to sin,
Would not the adversary win?
By and by I groan and wail,
at the prospect that I might fail.

God

Your faith is small, but big enough,
To receive my mercy, otherwise rough.
But if you wish to please me great,
Expand your faith and sin you'll hate.

By Evan Gunn Wilson

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I love the clarity you bring to the heart of each Christian's struggle. That last line makes the poem. Not to mention it's one of the first poems that I have been able to properly wrap my poeticly uneducated mind around enough to render a comment.