12/20/2010

A Dialogue Betwixt God and the Soul

Soul

Whilst my Soul's eye beheld no light
But what streamed from thy gracious sight,
To be the world's greatest king,
Seem'd but a little vulgar thing.

God

Whilst thou prov'dst pure, and that in thee
I could glass all my deity,
How glad did I from Heaven depart,
To find a lodging in thy heart!

Soul

Now fame and greatness bear the sway
('Tis they that hold my prison's key)
For whom my soul would die might she
Leave them he immortality!

God

I and some few poor souls conspire,
And burn both in a mutual fire;
For whom I'd die once more, ere they
Should miss of heaven's eternal day.

Soul

But, Lord! What if I turn agian,
And with an adamantine chain,
Loch me to thee? What If I chase
The world away to give thee place?

God

Then though these souls , In whom I joy,
Are Seraphims, thou but a toy,
A foolish toy, yet once more I
Would with thee live and for thee die!

By Sir Walter Ralegh

No comments: